Sender:       Archives & Archivists <ARCHIVES@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU>
Poster:       Peter Hirtle <pbh6@CORNELL.EDU>
Subject:      The Bowdoin Archives Insta-Cam
---

In my posting on internal archives documents available on the Web, I
overlooked one very important resource.  It is the Archives Insta-Cam at
the Bowdoin College Archives.  In the past digital cameras have been used
to provide continually-updated images of street traffic, fish tanks,
television stations in San Francisco, and the coffee pot in the computer
science laboratory at Cambridge University, but to my knowledge this is the
first implementation that records the actual operation of an archives.

The Insta-Cam is described as follows:

      Now through the magic of digital technology, you can get an inside
look at the day-to-day
      workings of a real archives.

      This digital camera image is updated EVERY FIFTEEN MINUTES throughout
the
      working day!

The Archives Insta-Cam can be found at:
http://www.bowdoin.edu/dept/library/arch/cam.htm.

Peter Hirtle
pbh6@cornell.edu

*   Gavan McCarthy - Director
*    Australian Science Archives Project
*     University of Melbourne
*       203 Bouverie Street
*        Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*         gavan@asap.unimelb.edu.au
*          Phone: +61 3 9344 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
* ------->Recovering Science and Technology in Australia