[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sigmund Freud

At 20:02 10/24/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello, I am doing a History Day Project on Sigmund Freud and how his works
impacted on a turning point in History.  I was wondering if you were able
to locate any information on him or psychiatric practice for our research.
Any information you find would be very helpful and appreciated.  Thank you
very much.
> Jen
>(my email adrress)
>hbormann@ncn.net

Freud was born in the year 1856 in a town, Freiburg where we
would now label him as a Czechoslovakian Jew.
He died, like Marx, in London.

 He is said to have been encouraged by reading Darwin,
to apply himself as the top scholar of his class in Gymnasium
to the study of science.
    Later, an essay by Goethe was said to have impelled him
into medicine, despite no great feeling of vocation.

The University of Vienna gave him a taste of anti-semitic
prejudice, he wrote. After studying the paralyses of children
during an internship intended to address his pressing financial
 state in the familiar pattern for medical graduates, he published
on the topic and gained an academic post.
He soon won a travelling scholarship to further his interest
in hypnotism used for recall of past life incidents.

 After some months studying hysterical children
in Berlin, he returned to Vienna where for several years he
 practised medicine using hypnotic suggestion. Turning to free
association  he began his seminal work on the analysis of dreams.

 After a period of derision he gained increasing attention,
though his views on the sex life of children met increased
opposition. It was Clark University's invitation that provided
an eager American audience for Freud's insight into the new field
of psycho-analysis as early as 1909.

His reputation flowered until the Nazi accession in 1938
led to a book-burning and his parole on payment
of a ransom.  He had suffered for several years, the pain
of a mouth cancer. He took his family to England to join
 his son, where he died in the following year.

This is essentially an abstract of the biographic note
offered in the Britannica edition ("Great Books") of the
Freud works beginning with that Clark lecture, and ending with
a series of new introductory lectures that Freud wrote at Vienna
 in the same spirit. However after an operation, he wrote that
he was no longer capable of addressing an audience for these
lectures by 1930.

Sincerely

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK