[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SHiPS Teachers Network online

Dear STAMA,

Apologies for any cross-postings. I am forwarding this notice that arrived
on my email this morning.

Cheers .... Gavan McCarthy

The SHiPS Teachers Network is now officially on-line at:

http://www2.utep.edu/~allchin/ships/

The new site currently includes the recent newsletter (a special issue on
Science & Culture)
and resources from previous issues on:
==>  Women, Gender and Science
==>  Ethics

We hope that the site will be a central major resource for teachers who are
interested in integrating history, philosophy and sociology of science into
their classrooms.  In the near future, we hope to build an extensive site of
links to other resources available on the web, such as MendelWeb, the
virtual biographical dictionary of scientists, AIP Visual Archives, HSS,
SHOT, PSA, 4S, etc.

PLEASE CONTACT THE EDITOR, DOUGLAS ALLCHIN, AT allchin@utep.edu

= = = = =
For those who are not familiar with the SHiPS Network, we are a group --
mostly of high school teachers -- that parallels the international HPSST
group.  The group was formed by the teahers at the first HPST conference in
Tallahassee in 1989.  We have been publishing a quarterly newsletter since
then, sharing curriculum resources, ethical case studies, historical
updates, book reviews, etc.  Our focus has been on practice, resources and
"how-to"s, more than on the academic arguments surrounding constructivism,
teacher preparation, science policy, etc.
= = = = =

Respectfully,
Douglas Allchin

Douglas Allchin
allchin@utep.edu
Biology Dept., Univ. of Texas at El Paso,  El Paso  TX  79968
(915) 747-5943     /     FAX 915-747-5808
Douglas - STAMA is the Science, Technology and Medicine Archives listserve
run under the auspices of the International Council on Archives Section on
Universities and Research Institution Archives. Gavan

*   Gavan McCarthy - Director
*    Australian Science Archives Project
*     University of Melbourne
*       203 Bouverie Street
*        Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*         gavan@asap.unimelb.edu.au
*          Phone: +61 3 9344 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on <http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/>
* ------->Recovering Science and Technology in Australia