[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tips for generating WWW finding aids

ullo STAMA,

As some of you may know, I've been creating archival-related WWW resources
for a few years now, and I thought it was about time I started to document
some of my tips and techniques, just in case they might be of use to others.

My first effort in this regard is a series of pages with information on how
to generate WWW finding aids from a Microsoft Access database. The pages
include links to related resources, some useful macros, examples of code
etc. Have a browse at:

	http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/~tim/find_aids/

The techniques I describe will work with Access-based archival
management/control systems such as ASAP's ADS and Tabularium. I'm currently
working on a code module for Tabularium (based on the principles described
in these pages) that will create a basic HTML finding aid. I'll post more
information as work proceeds.

If you want to get your finding aids up on the WWW, but are scared off by
all the technical stuff, then you might want to contract me to do it for
you! (Sorry for the advertising, but I'm trying to earn my living as an
independent consultant these days.) In any case, you can always email me
for free advice and suggestions. I like to do what I can to help get
archives on the WWW.

If you have any suggestions, comments, additions, corrections etc please
send them to me and I will add them to the pages. I intend to add several
more sections, particularly relating to creating and using search
mechanisms, and EAD/XML. So check back every now and then.

More soon.

Cheers, Tim

Tim Sherratt (Tim.Sherratt@asap.unimelb.edu.au)
disCONTENTS - Purveyors of fine ideas