[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Historiography Modern Science

Dear STAMAsters (apologies for cross-postings)

Further discussion from
"H-NET List on the History of Science, Medicine, and Technology"
H-SCI-MED-TECH@h-net.msu.edu

See posting of 19/05/1997.

>Jean Deken <jmdeken@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:
>
>I am very interested in the conference Tim Lenoir proposes, being much
>preoccupied with the question of how to collect in a traditional "archive"
>(an historical repository -- vs. the computer-science use of the term
>'archive') historically significant scientific work that is being done
>entirely in an electronic environment.  I am participating in a session at
>the Society of American Archivists' meeting in August on "Archiving the
>World-Wide Web:  Making a Start" and I am aware of some efforts being
>undertaken to address issues around collecting, studying and preserving
>the newer media, however, more needs to be done!  The electronic media
>ends up being very transient, not necessaryily because some of the storage
>media doesn't last, but because the hardware and software necessary to
>read it keep going out of use and out of existence in ever-shorter cycles.
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
>Jean Marie Deken, Archivist             Tel: 415.926.3091
>Stanford Linear Accelerator             Fax: 415.960-4905
>Archives and History Office             e-mail:jmdeken@slac.stanford.edu
>PO Box 4394 MS 82
>Stanford CA 94309
>
>> Subject: REPLY: Kragh & New book on the historiography of recent science
(x-post mersenne)

>> Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 19:39:04 -0700
>> From: Timothy Lenoir <tlenoir@leland.Stanford.EDU>
>>
>> This is an incredibly rich topic, and I personally do not feel that we
>> have begun to touch the surface of it here.  I note that most contemporary
>> and recent science/technology is highly multi-disciplinary in its
>> production. I note, on the other hand that ALL of the articles in the
>> volume discussed below are single-authored and from the perspective of a
>> single discipline.  How will we incorporate not only the science, but also
>> the economics of technology? How will we deal with the fact that much of
>> the science of the recent past is constructed in electronic media? What
>> will we do with software? How will we treat, for instance, the
>> construction of computer-based simulations that are the mainstream of
>> contemporary science in many areas, such as virtual surgery for instance?
>> I would like to see a conference organized to treat these and related
>> problems in a role-your-sleeves-up manner. Anyone interested?
>>
>> tim lenoir
>> stanford university

*   Gavan McCarthy - Director
*    Australian Science Archives Project
*     University of Melbourne
*       203 Bouverie Street
*        Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*         gavan@asap.unimelb.edu.au
*          Phone: +61 3 9344 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
* ------->Recovering Science and Technology in Australia