[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

advice sought: patient records in manuscript collections

Dear STAMAsters (Apologies for cross-postings)

>Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:01:51 -0500 (EST)
>Sender: owner-sthc-l@library.ucla.edu
>From: RUSSELL A JOHNSON <rjohnson@library.ucla.edu>
>To: sthc-l@library.ucla.edu
>Subject: advice sought: patient records in manuscript collections
>
>I am preparing a presentation to our special collections advisory
>council and campus legal counsel, which will then refine our policies
>and procedures for access to and use of patient records in our
>manuscript collections. I would like to solicit advice and other
>information on practical, legal, and ethical considerations that are
>involved when an archival/manuscripts repository has collections of
>personal papers which include patient medical and psychological
>records, such as:
>
>	- unsolicited exploratory inquiries or "cold calls" from people
>	   with problems who saw the doctor in a news report or journal
>	   article and are looking for advice or referrals
>	- individual case histories / personal case files
>	- notes, tapes, and transcripts of interview or therapy
>		sessions
>	- correspondence with patients, their families, patient
>		advocates, etc.
>	- referrals to or from other doctors
>	- case conference and grand rounds presentations
>	- test results (e.g., psychological test batteries) on large
>		numbers of identifiable individuals.
>
>If your repository has dealt with this issue and created
>acquisition, processing, access and use guidelines (including
>restriction statements, statements of understanding that researchers
>sign, etc.), I would appreciate receiving a copy.  If you created a
>report which outlines why and how your institution arrived at its
>policies and procedures in this matter, that would also be most
>helpful.
>
>On a related point -- when was this issue last presented as the focus
>of a Society of American Archivists session?  Would it be timely to
>discuss this at the Roundtable meeting this fall, and then work up a
>session proposal (co-sponsored by the Privacy and Confidentiality
>Roundtable?) for the 1998 meeting?  (I would be interested in
>spearheading or joining in such a session, if there is interest and a
>perceived need.)
>
>Thanks in advance for your help -- please consider posting some replies
>to the List, too (until some subscribers say "enough, already!").
>

>Russell

>Russell A. Johnson        (310) 206-2753
>Archivist, Science Collections
>Department of Special Collections
>University Research Library, UCLA
>Box 951575   Los Angeles CA   90095-1575
>
>rjohnson@library.ucla.edu

*   Gavan McCarthy - Director
*    Australian Science Archives Project
*     University of Melbourne
*       203 Bouverie Street
*        Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*         gavan@asap.unimelb.edu.au
*          Phone: +61 3 9344 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
* ------->Recovering Science and Technology in Australia