[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CFP Metadata 97

Dear STAMAsters, (Apologies for cross-postings - AFCP)

>Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 09:27:42 +1100
>Sender: cirg-l@nla.gov.au
>From: djohnson@w3c2.com.au (Dave Johnson)
>To: tim.sherratt@asap.unimelb.edu.au
>Subject: CFP Metadata 97
>
>Here is a Call for Papers for the second IEEE Metadata Conference in which
>you may have an interest - please forgive me if you have already seen this
>- Dave Johnson

----

>Second IEEE Metadata Conference
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS
>
>* Location: NOAA Auditorium, Silver Spring, Maryland
>* Dates: 16 - 17 September 1997
>* For more information: http://www.llnl.gov/liv_comp/metadata/md97.html
>
>Sponsored by:
>
>IEEE Mass Storage Systems and Technology Technical Committee
>National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
>Hughes Information Technology Systems
>IEEE Digital Libraries Task Force
>
>The IEEE Metadata Conference goal is to encourage discussion of metadata
>issues. Metadata is loosely defined as "data about data", or "additional
>information that is necessary for data to be useful". Papers that
>contribute to practical understanding are strongly encouraged. Survey
>papers, short tutorial papers, and product or project experiences are
>welcome. Previously published papers will not be considered. Panel
>proposals should describe the topic, intended audience, and list the likely
>participants. Panels should discuss topics that can involve the audience
>rather than being mini-paper sessions. Proposals for poster displays and/or
>demonstrations should focus on presenting novel and interesting technical
>aspects of metadata research or development. Soon-to-be products that
>emphasize substantial technical support for metadata are also welcome.
>
>We are soliciting abstracts of 500 to 1000 words for potential papers and
>panel proposals, along with abstracts of poster and/or demo presentations
>of up to 500 words of text.
>
>Topics of interest include (but are not limited to) the following:
>
>* Metadata Management:
>        o modeling and representation of metadata, including
>                + impact of modeling choices (oo, relational, ..) on
>extensibility of metadata
>                + impact of metadata on storage, retrievability and use of
data
>                + metadata for logical/semantic representation of the WWW
>        o metadata mining/extraction
>        o metadata for mass storage and warehousing
>        o integrating multi-level metadata
>        o metadata repository architecture
>        o systems for managing metadata
>                + recording/providing/accessing/utilizing
>                + WWW-based metadata management
>* Application-specific issues of metadata:
>        o earth sciences (weather/climate, ecosystems)
>        o resource management (mining, agriculture)
>        o other data-intensive application areas (census, film/video
>archives, etc.)
>* Emerging applications in Global Information Infrastructure, including
>        o Digital library metadata issues:
> [...]

*   Gavan McCarthy - Director
*    Australian Science Archives Project
*     University of Melbourne
*       203 Bouverie Street
*        Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*         gavan@asap.unimelb.edu.au
*          Phone: +61 3 9344 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
* ------->Recovering Science and Technology in Australia