[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ILL; archival records on OCLC, etc.

Hello STAMASTERS from Springtime in the Rockies.
Two questions for you:
 - Those of you who have archive/manuscript cataloging records on
RLIN, OCLC, or other regional/national/international bibliographic
utilities--do you ever receive interlibrary loan (ILL) requests for
those materials because someone saw them listed on that bibliographic
utility?  During discussions of whether to put USGS Field Records
Library (earth science research archives) cataloging records on OCLC,
the concern was raised about the probability/possibility of receiving
such ILL requests.  We would not loan the materials, and my knowledge
is that the various ILL codes exempt archival/manuscript materials
from ILL.  My feeling is that the concern is connected with fears of
more work (just in receiving and responding "NO") for an already
overloaded ILL unit here in the Denver USGS Library by virtue of ILL
requests for Field Records Library materials.  There are currently
about 12 Field Records Library cataloging records on OCLC, and I
don't believe I've talked to a patron who contacted us because
of seeing those.
What are your experiences?feelings?suggestions?other?
 - When the new USGS Library online cataloging system is accepted,
we'll begin putting Field Records Library cataloging records into
that system, which includes a public access catalog (PAC) accessible
from within the USGS Library system as well as from remote users.
What is your experience with having scientific archive cataloging
records on internal PACs (e.g. within a college or university
setting) as well as on OCLC and similar systems.  We'd probably all agree on
the value of spreading the word that these collections exist and are
available for use.  Do patrons tell you "I found you on the PAC/OCLC...."
How is it working for you?
We'll be adding a lot of records, since we usually catalog materials as
projects reflecting specific USGS investigations, rather than combining all
the materials by one scientist into one collection.  Also, the
current plan is to include records for fully cataloged materials, as
well as skeletal records for uncataloged materials.

Thanks in advance for any and all comments, suggestions, ideas, etc.

Carol A. Edwards, Head
U.S. Geological Survey Field Records Library
MS 914, Box 25046, Federal Center
Denver, CO 80225-0046
USA
Phone: (303) 236-1005  FAX: (303) 236-0015
this email: cedwards@denlib.cr.usgs.gov
another email: cedwards@usgs.gov