[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

History of Med collections in Australia

Seasons Greetings STAMAfolk,

I came across the note below on the Caduceus email list. I don't think
Brenda is on STAMA, so I thought I might as well forward it. I'm not sure
what she means about hers being the "only history of medicine collection in
Australia". BTW there's an article in the latest _History of Australian
Science Newsletter_ (posted this week - what a wonderful Christmas surprise
:-) ) about the Australian Medical Assocation Archives collection at the
Brownless Medical Library. It's not the archives of the AMA as such, but
eight filing cabinets of documents, photographs, cuttings etc compiled by
the AMA's librarians over many years. If that's not a history of medicine
collection what is?

Cheers, Tim

PS. It is not considered polite to ask why HASN is dated August-September
1995 and yet distributed in December. It is just one of those great cosmic
mysteries.

>CADUCEUS-L:  History of the Health Sciences Forum <CADUCEUS-L@Beach.UTMB.Edu>
>
>             CADUCEUS-L 4:75            21 December 1995
>
>             Contents: Wellcome Institute Library (William Schupbach)
>                       VUMC Archives Home Page (Randy Jones)
>                       History of Medicine Collection in Australia
>                                                (Brenda Heagney)
>
>                       [This issue is 79 lines long.]
>
>Date: Thu, 21 Dec 1995 16:08:50 -0500 (EST)
>From: brendah@tanus.oz.au (Brenda Heagney)
>Subject: History of Medicine Collections
>
>We are on our way to the Web.  Meanwhile I have enjoyed reading these
>Bulletins. Ours is the only History of Medicine Collection in Australia. We
>have a special collection of medical Australiana based on the library of Sir
>Edward Ford which he donated to the College in the 1970s.  We are already
>handling reference questions  from international enquirers, and welcome more .
>
>Next year we shall be on the web, and hope to have our catalogue available.
>
>Seasons greetings to all CADUCEUS readers
>
>Brenda Heagney, Librarian, History of Medicine Library, Royal Australasian
>College of Physicians, 145 Macquarie Street Sydney NSW 2000 AUSTRALIA
>Phone 02 2565411 Fax 02 2523310 e-mail brendah@tanus.oz.au (latter will change
>early in 1996)
>
>INET: brendah@tanus.oz.au

Tim Sherratt (Tim.Sherratt@asap.unimelb.edu.au)
Manager, Canberra Office and Head of Information Services
ASAP Canberra, GPO Box 783, Canberra ACT 2601  Ph: +61 (0)6 257 7985
ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
----> ASAP - Recovering Australia's Scientific Heritage