[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Location of Archives

Dear STAMAsters

One of our members, who for good reasons wishes to remain anonymous, would
like some feedback, support, opinions and thoughts on the issues presented
below. I have passed on the message as sent to me.

Moderately yours (with a cold) .... Gavan

>Canvassing opinion and experiences about the location of Archives and
>Archivists, as evidence to support the claim in a current case in a higher
>education establishment that
>
>a) Archivists and records should remain in one place with the search room for
> greater efficiency, ease of access for users
>(This doesn't preclude storage elsewhere of rarely used material)
>
>b) Archives should not be moved into libraries as they both have such
>different methods of operation, purpose and often different clientele.
>
>b)Separating the Archivists and records can only lead to a decrease in the
>quality of service given to all users and in the quality of job satisfaction
>for the Archivists
>
>c)Archives and libraries have different purposes, often clientele and
>methods of operation, therefore Archives should not be housed within
>libraries if avoidable and should not be moved into libraries without valid
>operational reasons

*   Gavan McCarthy - Chief Archivist
*    Australian Science Archives Project
*     University of Melbourne
*       203 Bouverie Street
*        Carlton, Vic. 3053 Australia
*         gavan@asap.unimelb.edu.au
*          Phone: +61 3 9347 9287 Fax: +61 3 9349 4630
*           ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
* ------->Recovering Science and Technology in Australia