[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

History of Med Reprint collection

Ullo STAMActites,

Happy New Year! I'm forwarding a message about a reprint collection that
some of you might be interested in. If you are, I suggest you contact
Virginia Aberdeen directly (vlaberde@mailbox.syr.edu).

Cheers, Tim

>From: vlaberde@mailbox.syr.edu
>Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 10:40:51 -0500 (EST)
>To: Tim.Sherratt@anu.edu.au
>Subject: Anticipating internet in 1960
>Dear Dr Sherratt, I have been contacting, with assistance, history of
>medicine centers to discover if there is one interested in using a an
>extensive reprint collection compiled by my husband, Dr Eoin Aberdeen, a
>pediatric cardiothoracic
>surgeon born and raised in Australia, who worked in Australia, UK, and USA,
>from 1953 until his death in 1986( Obituary Lancet 1986) Now I intend to
>move from our home and must discard these papers, but before I do I am
>exploring for the last time in case these materials would be useful to an
>academic institution for research or any other project.
>Eoin culled articles from numerous journals, intending to build a nucleus
>electronic data base for his field, which he hoped would be developed, as
>many
>databases have been,into a part of his 1960 concept of an internet resource.The
>papers are topic organised and cross referenced for easy retrieval by a
>busy surgeon.Unfortunately, he did not link up with the right computer
>group to realisehis aspiration, despite persistant effort. I have
>contributed copies of
>selected papers to the International Register of Randomised Clinical Trials,
>directed by Dr Iain Chalmers of Oxford University. If you have a suggestion
>for a additional use for this collection I would be glad to know it. I
>would also be grateful if you would send my message out in Australia in any
>way you think appropriate.  Yours sincerely Virginia Aberdeen BS
>
>Virginia Aberdeen
>Biology Department
>Syracuse University
>(315-443-2154)
>(fax 315-443-2156)
>(vlaberde@mailbox.syr.edu)
>

>Virginia Aberdeen
>Biology Department
>Syracuse University
>(315-443-2154)
>(fax 315-443-2156)
>(vlaberde@mailbox.syr.edu)

Tim Sherratt (Tim.Sherratt@asap.unimelb.edu.au)
Manager, Canberra Office and Head of Information Services
ASAP Canberra, GPO Box 783, Canberra ACT 2601  Ph: +61 (0)6 257 7985
ASAPWeb! on http://www.asap.unimelb.edu.au/
----> ASAP - Recovering Australia's Scientific Heritage